Thursday, January 14, 2016

BuJo update

I'm 2 weeks into using my bullet journal and although I haven't been using it religiously, I have been generally keeping it updated and referring back to it. More so than any previous diary/calendar/planner I have tried. There are lots of things I like about it. And some I would like to change. Luckily the beauty of the bullet journal means I can change it!To some extent.

Here's a quick update.

My contents page is being updated with lists & details as they are entered. 


This is one of the things I'm not so keen on. Because the notebook is used in a linear way things aren't grouped, so not all of January's journal days are together. If I fill a page and want to add more - for example, blogs to read - I need to use a separate page later on in the notebook which can lead to duplicating info. It can also be hard to quickly find stuff - and this is only 2 weeks on.... What will it be like when the notebook is full?

I've had to re-write my 100 actions as some were too much to do in 15 minutes and not focused on my actual goal. Instead of ripping out the page I've just paper clipped another list on top. 


I like the month to view pages, but really want to have February's ready to add dates to rather than having another diary to update.



I added a 'week to view' page layout for the first week, where I can add a bit of planning detail for the week ahead. my issue then is that I am duplicating information again in the daily journal pages. Which are starting to get a bit messy.... :-/



For the second week I created a '2 days per page' layout for the week ahead, with space for planning, and to add my daily journal notes. When I remembered to! This has worked a lot better for me, but doesn't really take into account the flexibility intended for the bullet journal.



I want to have everything in one place and I do love the idea of the bullet journal, but I am beginning to feel that soon it is going to start getting too complicated to find the information I need. It already takes me a while to find my monthly trackers....

I have been thinking that maybe a planner would be better for me - to have all the dated information in one section, and able to keep lists etc in another section. But I have found planners (in particular Filofax binders) difficult to write in with the binder being too bulky and the writing space to small. Until I discovered the Filofax Clipbook. I haven't yet purchased one as I decided I wanted to give my little notebook a fair run at it... but I keep thinking about it. It seems to lie flat, it's a good A5 size, I can use the principle of the BuJo, with the addition of being able to take out and add sheets of paper easily. I just need to decide whether to go for it or not.

No comments: