Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Meal Planning Filofax

Part of my kitchen organising includes improving my eating habits. I am a bit rubbish at eating breakfast, often forget about lunch, and then eat dinner. Working in a cake shop often means I'll be snacking all day sampling different recipes, plus I do find it difficult to turn down a scone... All in all, not the healthiest of diets.

I have also noticed that I am losing weight, which is not something I need to do - I'm not boasting, I'm just small and have been lucky enough to not have to worry about my weight.

My hubby does most of the cooking in our house. He enjoys it and is following the WeightWatchers diet, so it's easier for him to sort out what he wants to eat for evening meals and I'll just go along with it. Evie will try whatever we have, so I don't need to make anything different for her. Thursday is my night for cooking so I can get dinner ready for when hubby gets back from rugby training. I plan to work my way through Jamie's 30 Minute Meals. I know it's had mixed review, but some of the menus look lovely.

I decided I needed a way to plan in my breakfast and lunch and make it or prep it ahead of time, so that I do eat something. I sat down on Sunday with my recipe book, iPad and dug out an old pocket Filofax.

It's a work in progress, but so far is working for me. I do plan to make it a bit prettier at some point, but right now it's function over form!

First here is the inside cover holding 2 mini highlighters, bought from Wilkinson. They are the perfect size for my pocket Filofax and will be used to cross off list items. It's cleaner then drawing lines through everything.

Next are some shopping list pages. These are kept at the front, so I can access them quickly when on the move. Items can then be knocked off usingthe highlighters.

Next I have 4 blank sheets. Each side has the day of the week (the 8th side has 'next week'), then Breakfast Lunch and Dinner as headings. Below each of these is a little sticky note showing what I'll be having for each meal. This should make the pages and meals re-usable to some extent so I'm not wasting loads of paper. (Side note: I have now purchased some smaller fine liners to better fit.)
Here are some more pages so you can see it at work...

This is one of my favourite stickies so far!

Next section is a list of what we have in the freezer. Again, this can be updated with the higher. I will also be adding lists for in the fridge and in the pantry, for quick reference when planning.

Here is a list of the meals in Jamie's 30 Minute Meals so I can keep track of which ones I have done. I have assigned numbers so I can do a quick random number selection when I can't make my mind up!
Finally there is a little pocket to keep my sticky notes included.

I love it so far, and I am pleased to say that I have eaten pretty well this week. I have also been buying some new lunchbox accessories to make lunch more exciting....but more about that another day.

I plan to add some useful charts - temperature and unit conversion charts, and I need to include some pages to store my not in use sticky notes, plus maybe a favourite page for quick access. So what do you think? Genius or overkill?

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have u tried using the back mesh pocket for you phone? I have a red Metropole and it works great ! Sine u have the pins in the front it might not work for u. I all about everything in one place. Trying to figure out how to clip my keys on for a charm.

Love your planner and am looking forward for more!
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Have u tried using the back mesh pocket for you phone? I have a red Metropole and it works great ! Sine u have the pens in the front it might not work for u. I all about everything in one place. Trying to figure out how to clip my keys on for a charm.

Love your planner and am looking forward for more!
Sherry