Sunday, February 24, 2013

Butternut Squash Ravioli & Cookies

Being a bit more organised did help last week, but with family visiting I didn't spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Having said that I did have a pretty productive weekend - making 4 recipes in 2 days!

I started on Saturday, making Butternut Squash Ravioli (p141). My first attempt at making pasta didn't go very well following the instructions in the book, the dough just didn't seem right - quite 'bouncy'. I used the instructions on the pasta flour packet and my trusty Kitchen Aid and it went much better.


The filling was simply butternut squash seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg. 


It was a long process, but all done in stages and I thought they looked pretty good! Even if I do say so myself.....


The ravioli was served with sage and pine nut butter, rocket and parmesan. The butternet squash was a bit sweet for me, but the overall dish was delicious. The sage leaves in the butter had gone very crispy which was a lovely contrast to the soft filling. I would definitely make this, but maybe with a different filling.


Then we had red wine and chorizo risotto (p148) which we had made before.

Considering the amount of time we spend in the kitchen, I am a little embarassed to say that last Saturday was the first time I actually did baking with Evie. She is usually around, but not very hands on. This time I let her do all the mixing (and tasting).


We made chocolate chip cookies based on the Coffee & Hazelnut cookies (p275), we didn't add coffee and substituted the hazelnuts for chocolate chips. The cookies were lovely, but I was hoping for more of a soft cookie than crisp biscuit. This is my favourite photo of the day! 


On Sunday, I made scrambled eggs with mushrooms and chives (p29) which again were great, and something a little different to the norm. 

I actually have the yoghurt on the go as I type - so that's one ticked off for this week already.

No comments: