Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Froctober

It's October! (I have absolutely no idea where September went, but this does mean we are getting closer to Christmas - yes, I said the 'C' word! - which I am REALLY looking forward to....sorry, off on a tangent!) Or I should say FrOctober.

This means that for the month of October I shall be 'frocking', basically making a bit more of an effort with what I wear and opting for dresses (or frocks), skirts and tunics rather than jeans. Why? To be honest, because it sounds like fun, because I like a challenge and because I saw it on Twitter and thought, why not?!

There is, however, a slightly more serious point to it. FrOctober was started by 3 mums who met on Twitter and decided to set a challenge to not wear jeans for a month, it became a charity challenge for pni.org.uk - a charity supporting those who have suffered with post-natal illness or post-natal depression. Check out the FrOctober Blog for more information or see the Facebook page for more details.

FrOctober has now become a general awareness raising exercise, as well as a time for fundraising. It's made me read a lot more about PNI and I have already 'met' new people and read their stories. I haven't personally suffered, but just having the 'baby blues' was enough, it must be awful to suffer with depression at what should be some of the happiest times of your life.


It's only day 3 and I am feeling quite inspired so far, plus I have realised I own a lot more dresses than I thought I did! Including a few I know I'm unlikely to wear, so to raise some funds for PNI in the true spirit that FrOctober is inteneded (rather than just posting photos of me across the internet) I am planning to host a swishing session. Swishing is where everyone brings at least 1 good quality item of clothing to a venue and then we have a multi-way swap - so hopefully everyone goes home with something new. If you are interested in swishing in Swansea (ha!) then leave a comment or give me a shout on Twitter (I'm @rhiandaniel) and I'll let you know when it's all finalised. There'll be a small entry fee (around £1), cakes to purchase and probably a raffle - either way, it's cheaper than buying a new dress!!

Are you involved? What are you Frocking?

No comments: