Friday, May 04, 2012

Eating 5 a Day in May

In an attempt to improve my diet I am making an effort to eat 5 different fruit & vegetables every day in May. I don't eat particualrly badly, but fruit and veg tend to be a bit of an afterthought rather than an integral part of my diet. I read somewhere that it takes 30 days to form a habit so for the month of May I am going to make an effort to eat my 5 a day hoping that it'll become second nature.

I have been posting my daily eating recods on tumblr, so come and follow me there if you want some ideas on how to increase your F&V intake.I'll add an update here every now and then too, more for my own records really.

Disclaimer time - I know that in many cases (during past 'experiments') that I don't eat what is the recommended quantity for it to count as a portion, but that's not really the aim here. The aim is to start including more variety in my meals, so for example if I have a turkey salad sandwich I will list tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber as 3/5, but it is more likely to count as just one portion according to the guidelines. I'm hoping to build up to the actual portion sizes later on. But for now it's about the variety.

This project also has a bit of a sideline - I will sometimes take photos of my food, so I'm hoping this get me practising food presentation and photography, and get me cooking and experimenting a bit more rather than just sticking to what I normally do.

It also means I need to be more organised & make sure I have the variety of F&V in the house, so I can't use it as an excuse.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's my progress so far.

Day 1
Breakfast: I actually missed it today but I planned to have a banana sandwich (0/5)
Lunch: fried leftover veg (carrot, swede & cauliflower) with ham, mushrooms & fried egg. (4/5)
Snack: slice of melon (5/5)
Dinner: pan fried lemon & pepper tilapia with giant cous cous & greek salad (red onion, cucumber & tomato) (8/5)

Day 2
Breakfast: Yoghurt & Fruit Salad - orange, grapefruit, melon, grapes (4/5)
Lunch: Turkey salad sandwich - red onion, little gem, tomatoes, cucumber (8/5)
Snack: orange juice (8/5)
Dinner: Prawn Harissa Stew with rice & flag bread - tomatoes, garlic, onion (9/5)

Day 3
Breakfast: banana sandwich (1/5)
Lunch: chicken burger with lettuce, red onion & tomato. Orange juice. (5/5)
Dinner: moussaka.- tomatoes, onion, aubergine. (6/5)
Wine: grape? :)

Note: Where I have had tomatoes for lunch & dinner, this only counts as 1.

No comments: