Wednesday, May 09, 2012

5 ways to getting your 5 a Day

I'm on day 9 of my #5aDay challenge & so far it's going ok. Some days (like the weekend) were a bit of a struggle as I was out and about and my eating gave way to drinking. But even then I managed to eat 5 different fruit & veg.

It's beginning to wane a bit at the moment due to lack of planning, but I thought I'd share with you some tips that have helped me so far on my challenge.

Get your fruit & veg delivered
We stumbled upon a veg box delivery service and it has definitely helped make sure I get my fill. Instead of going to the shops and just buying what we need, we plan our meals around what we have. It means we will often get items that we wouldn't normally buy, and get a good variety. I know this isn't going to practical for everyone, but I would definitely recommend it if you can.

Plan your meals and...
If you don't get a veg box delivered (and even if you do) take some time to plan some meals and buy what you need. Making sure you have the food in the house is a HUGE help to making sure you can eat it. So take 20 minutes to plan meals for 3 days or a week, whatever you have the time for. I am a bit rubbish at this, as I can barely decide what I want to eat for lunch let along in 3 days time. And don't forget to plan in some nice meals! A fruit salad with a splash of cream still counts....

...plan for leftovers
When you cook, plan to have leftovers the following day. It's a lot easier to cook 4 different veg if you cook in bulk and knowing it will last a few meals. Make a sunday dinner, then use the veg for fry up the following day. Make a vegetable chilli, then use it as a topping for jacket potato. Boil some veg, then quickly roast it for a salad.

Make your own snack packs
If your fruit and veg is prepared and easy to grab on the go, it's much easier to get your fill. So when you buy a melon, take it home and slice it. When you're searching the fridge for something to snack on, it's ready to eat. Make a fruit salad and have a bowl with a yoghurt. Cut up carrot sticks and eat with a pot of hummus. Just make sure it's as easy to grab some fruit or veg as it is to grab a biscuit or chocolate bar.

Know your fruit & veg
Understand what does count towards your five a day. It's better to get a variety and knowing what does count makes it easier that just sticking to the standards. Mushrooms, beans, even popcorn (according to some sources) all count towards your five a day.

If you have any tips or tricks, feel free to share.


No comments: