Thursday, March 01, 2012

Joining the WI

As you will know from reading this blog, I love knitting, baking, cooking, anything crafty and spending time with friends. So I have always been somewhat fascinated by the Women's Institute and their values - empowering women and bringing back some of the 'old school' skills that some women feel they lack these days. The promise of sharing skills, meeting people and having fun very definitely appeals to me. But, like a lot of people, I felt I was too young for the WI, until I recently turned 30. And even then I have found out there are a number of young WI members in their twenties.

A few things have led to me being involved in starting a new WI. Becoming a Mum, turning 30 and getting back in touch with an old school friend.

Becoming a mum and turning 30 have improved my confidence and  encouraged a 'just do it' attitude. It has made me look a bit harder at my life to see what I want to achieve and who I want to be. And it was my friend (@gowercatering) who asked if I would be interested in joining the WI and helping her start a new one during one of our 'stitch n bitch' sessions in the pub she runs.

I'd look at the WI briefly but didn't look too hard into whether there was one close enough to join, so when I was asked, how could I say no? We've had 2 meetings now with WI organisers who are helping us get started with WI Gowerton (we may come up with another name) and our first proper meeting is on Tuesday 13th March. The plan so far is to meet on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month, arranging a speaker for one meeting and an activity for the other.

I can't wait to get started and am really looking forward to meeting people and trying new things. If you are interested in coming along it costs £31.50 per year and we are meeting on Tuesday 13th March at 7:30pm in the Coffee Shop in Gowerton. The first meeting will be a bit of a 'get to know you' session and chat and it really is the more the merrier!

No comments: