Monday, January 30, 2012

Evie's Weaning Diary - Day 3

After we had tried the carrot yesterday I gave Evie a clean spoon to play with and she was pulling the same faces as she did when we had any food on it, so I begun to wonder if it was the spoon and method of feeding that was the problem, rather than the food. So today, we tried carrot again, hoping that it might be a bit more familar rather than confuse her with another flavour. Again she was pulling faces, so I tried putting a little bit on my finger and offering that. She seemed to be much more accepting of this and did a bit more sucking and 'gumming'.

We did lots of smiling and playing and even tried some (cooled boiled) water from her new 'big girls' cup.



In other weaning news, I bought a flexible ice cube tray and froze our sweet potato. Each cube holds 1 tablespoon of puree, so 2 cubes would make 1 portion.




When frozen  in the tray I removed the cubes and have put them in a labeled bag in the freezer. Is it just me or does this look like fudge to you too?





I think that we are going to take a little break from weaning for a few days. There are 2 reasons. The first is the recently Evie has been sick more than usual and not eating as much, this was before the weaning so not related, but I have lost a bit of confidence in whether I know she's hungry or not...if you know what I mean. So we're going to take a day or two to make sure we're doing ok and not confuse it with proper food. I have also been recommended a book by Gill Rapley on Baby-Led Weaning, and having read a bit about it, I think it may suit Evie as she is very keen to get involved herself. This does mean waiting til she's a bit older and making sure she can definitely sit up on her own before we start, but I've got the book reserved at the library so will read up a bit and see how we get on.

If you do have any weaning stories, advice, or tips, feel free to comment below. It does seem to be a bit of a minefield out there!



No comments: