Saturday, January 28, 2012

Evie's Weaning Diary - Day 1

Today we begun a new adventure in food - weaning Evie. I have been looking forward to this for a few months, to see Evie enjoying food and trying new things. I had heard that you can start weaning from 4 months, but when we asked the health visitor she said not to start before 6 months, plus I had read somewhere that if a baby is early you should add the number of weeks she was early onto the end. However, I spoke to a lot of mums and dads who all started weaning at around 5 months, if not earlier. Then I started reading up about it, especially the signs that baby is ready & noticed that Evie was already showing a few of these. The signs I have so far seen are her showing an interest in my food and reaching out for it, chewing on her hands and waking (again) for food in the night.

So as Evie is 5 months old today we decided to give it a try. 

Having spoken to a few people, and as we were starting yonger than recommended by the HV I thought we'd better take baby steps. So we begun with Baby Rice, something with a similar taste to formula milk, but a slightly more solid texture.

It didn't go down very well at all!


We tried twice during the day but she wouldn't take it. Even just putting it to her lips she'd pull a face. Not that I'm surprised to be honest! It didn't look or taste very appealing at all. We tried at around lunch time, when she was hungry, but a bit more reading suggests that we maybe should have waited until after a feed, or midway through.

I am now armed with the Cow & Gate 5 Step Weaning Guide and Annabel Karmel's website and Weaning book, so I plan to do a little more reading tonight and maybe we'll try again, or try something different tomorrow.


No comments: