Tuesday, November 29, 2011

5 a Day Challenge

We have always eaten pretty well in our house, with a good portion of fruit & veg. But since our beautiful daughter arrived 3 months ago I've been a bit slack and my diet has gone totally down the drain! I don't mean a losing weight kind of diet, just your average eating well diet.

We eat very little fast food and love to cook, so most food is made from scratch. The problem I've found is that it's much easier to grab something unhealthy (like a Cinnamon Swirl) for breakfast, or snack on a chocolate bar... Or at least that's how it's felt for the last 3 months. I've barely had time to make a cup of tea, let alone lunch, & have often got to the end of the day and realised that, actually, I hadn't eaten anything.

I've started to notice that I feel different too. I'm tired (& baby is sleeping pretty well), I get tummy ache & just don't feel healthy.

I am now starting to feel a bit more 'normal' with the baby stuff and feel it's time to start focusing on me a bit - starting with my diet. And the easiest place to start is by making sure I get my 5 portions if fruit & veg every day...and learning exactly what a 'portion' is!

I'll be starting on 1st December and will keep track of all I eat here. There are some (well, 2) rules.

1. Each portion must be a different fruit or vegetable.
2. Juice can only count as 1 portion per day.

Oh, and I'll also be attempting to drink the recommended 6 glasses of water a day too.

If you fancy the challenge do join me. Would be great to get some ideas on how to sneak in some extra veg! :)

1 comment:

Livi said...

oooh good luck :)