Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Roast Sea Bass with Sweet Potatoes & Tomatoes

It's time to get back on track with my list of 101 things - starting with trying 1 new meal a week. This could be from a book or magazine or an invention of my own. I confess, part of this is to prove myself to be a wonderful housewife so that hubby will want me to stay home & look after Evie instead of going back to work. ;) Part of it is because I have watched so many cooking programs in my 3 weeks of maternity leave I've been inspired to get back in the kitchen.....which is actually where I am blogging from right now.

I will warn you, I am not very good with quantities and tend to be a bit slap-dash (unless I'm baking) so any recipes I post are probably going to need some interpretation of your own. Having said that, if you do try them, I'd love to know what you think.

My first recipe is sea bass fillets roasted with sweet potato and tomato, served with creamy spinach.



Serves 2 

Ingredients
-- for the sea bass --
2 sweet potaoes, peeled & chopped into chunks
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
Dried rosemary
10 cherry tomatoes
2 sea bass fillets
 -- for the spinach --
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled & finely chopped (or crushed or grated)
1/2 a bag of spinach (about 100g)
1 tbsp double cream
Nutmeg

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6. 
Put the sweet potatoes in a pan of water, bring to the boil then boil for 5 minutes.
With a slotted spoon transfer the potaoes to a roasting tin (keep the sweet potato water), drizzle with some oil, salt, pepper & rosemary.
Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
In a frying pan, gently heat some oil, then fry the onion until lightly browned.
Add the garlic and mix through for about a minute, then turn off the heat.
When the potatoes are done, add the cherry tomatoes and place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
Then add the sea bass fillets, skin down, on top of the veg, and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
With the water you boiled the sweet potatoes in, pour away all but about 1/2 cm, then add the spinach. Put the lid on and allow to wilt for about 2 minutes.
Drain the water from the spinach, getting as much out as you can, then add the spinach to the onion.
Turn the heat back on and fry for 5 minutes to warm through.
Just before the sea bass comes out of the oven (about 1 minute left on timer) add the cream & sprinkle with nutmeg. Stir through then serve.




1 comment:

writingforfun said...

Sounds lovely x