Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Poison Tree (Book Review)

Next on my Richard & Judy reading list was 'The Poison Tree' by Erin Kelly.

Started: 2nd July 2011
Finished: 10th July 2011
Rating: 4/5

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. It's not one I'd have picked up under normal circumstances, but I'm glad I did.

The book is narrated by Karen Clarke and we get two stories running side by side. The present, where we know that Karen's partner is just coming home from a sentence in prison, and the past, where we hope to find out exactly what's happened.


The story is told in the present, with the past being told from Karen's perspective as she tries to explain how they got where they are now. The present is full of worry, secrets and paranoia, while the past is carefree & fun, re-living the main characters' summer just after university and before 'real life' takes over.

Throughout the whole book you know something has happened & that Karen has secrets, and the suspense is built up throughout. There are no particularly clever twists and turns, but I loved the way the story built and it made me want to keep reading.

I wasn't particuarly fond of any of the main characters, but am not really sure why....something just didn't click for me. I just felt a bit sorry for them.

I thought Erin Kelly did a great job & I will definitely read her next book.


-----

This post is not sponsored. I am reviewing this book because I want to, however I do use an Amazon Associates link to display the book cover, so if you do fancy reading this book, a click on the link above would be appreciated. :)

No comments: