Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Novel in the Viola [Book Review]

I have recently finished reading my third book from the Richard & Judy book club - The Novel in the Viola
by Natasha Solomons. 


Started: 11th July 2011
Finished: 25th July 2011
Rating: 4/5

This wasn't a book I would have looked at twice if it hadn't been on the reading list, and it was the one I would have probably left til last if it hadn't been on offer at the till in WHSmith. I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover, but sometimes you just can't help it. 
Despite all of that I really enjoyed this book! It's set during World War 2 about a girl called Elise Landau who is made to leave her home in Austria, where she is quite well-to-do, to become a serving girl in England.

I did come to really feel for Elise who had to leave her family and move to a strange place, and thought that Solomons really managed to bring all of the characters to life, without lengthy descriptions and back stories. The plot was slightly predictable in some places, but it didn't spoil it for me. I also thought the book ended well. I was not disappointed and nothing was left open or unanswered.
-----

This post is not sponsored. I am reviewing this book because I want to, however I do use an Amazon Associates link to display the book cover, so if you do fancy reading this book, a click on the link above would be appreciated. :)

No comments: