Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chocolate Bread & Butter Pudding

I have a real issue with soggy bread. I can't touch it or look at it - let alone eat it. Makes me shudder just thinking about it... bleuch. This means I have never tried bread & butter pudding. I imagine it's much nicer than it sounds and isn't really just bread soaked in milk.....I hope!

My husband really loves bread & butter pudding, so being the good wifey that I am, and in the spirit of trying new things I made it for pudding. Hubby is on the Weightwatchers plan, so I found this recipe and thought I'd give it a go. However, I'm a bit of a bugger for changing recipes to suit, so while my pudding is based on the weightwatchers recipe, I have made a few changes to create one 'normal' pudding with vanilla & nutmeg and 1 chocolate version with Baileys. As baby puddings this recipe is ideal for trying new combinations without having to make one huge one that may not taste right.

Here's how I did it.

Get  2 ramekins and cut 6 circles of white bread using a patry cutter so that they fit nicely inside the ramekins.
Line the ramekins using fry-light butter spray (or real butter if you're not concerned about the calories!).
For  the normal pudding, lightly butter one side of 3 of the bread rounds.
For the chocolate pudding, spread chocolate spread on one side of the remaining 3 rounds.
Put the chocolate rounds in one ramekin, all chocolate spread side up.

Chocolate rounds in ramekin
 Put the buttered rounds in the other ramkin, butter side up, but put a few sultanas between each layer (I used 12g for one pudding).

Buttered rounds & sultanas in ramekin

Put 250ml skimmed milk (again, you could use semi-skimmed or whole milk, even a mix of milk & cream) into a saucepan with 1.5 tablespoons of vanilla sugar & bring to the boil.
Remove from the heat & allow to cool a little.
Beat 1 medium egg, then add the warm milk, and beat together.
Split this mix bewteen the 2 ramekins, making sure it goes down the sides of the dish.
Optional - add 1 tablespoon of baileys to the chocolate pud & sprinkle nutmeg on top of the normal pud.
Leave this to soak in (so you get really soggy bread) for a minimum of 3o minutes (I left mine for a few hours & it was fine.)
Heat overn to Gas Mark 5, 190 degrees C, 375 degrees F.
Put the ramekins into a roasting dish filled with hot water, so it comes about 2/3 of the way up the side of the pans.
Cook for 20-30 minutes until risen & golden brown.
Leave to stand (coz it'll be very hot!) and eat.

Blurry pic of Vanilla Bread & Butter Pudding

Finished Chocolate & Baileys Bread & Butter Pudding

My verdict? Well, it wasn't as bad as I expected! :) It tasted lovely and it definitely wasn't soggy bread. But there was just something not right about it. Having said that - I would try it again and the possible flavour combinations could definitely be interestng.

Hubby's verdict - It did taste nice, but wasn't as rich as a full-fat version! For those on the WeightWatchers plan, the Vanilla pudding worked out at 8 ProPoints.

Let me know if you do try these, especially with any other flavours. :)

Edited, 2nd December 2010: Oh my, have just found out that this post was a winner in the Beckicklesie Oui Chef Competition for November!! Am SOOO very excited. Thank you so much to Beckicklesie for selecting it!

3 comments:

bubbleboo said...

I'm sorry, did you say chocolate & Bailey's? Together? In a pudding?

Oh my...

*melts*

I need to make that. Now!

Rhian said...

:D It did taste nice, but wasn't convinced on the bread & butter puddign texture. Will be investigating new puddings to try this combo in though... Thanks for coming by!

BECKICKLES said...

Haha - I'm still melting with Bubbleboo.

Thanks for entering darling. I love the concept of having the individual bread and butter puddings (in ramekins) rather than a big slab that's just dished out. It takes a favourite pudding to another level.

Becca xx