Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Going into business

For several reasons* I have decided that I am going to try to set up my own cake decorating business. I've been thinking about it for so long, I do enjoy it and I am able to fit it in around my full time job - as long as I'm sensible. And DH is up for it too - in fact I thnk he quites fancies becoming a baking partner and branching out into pies & bread...but first things first!

A space to bake

So I have spent some time looking into what I would need to do to set it up. There's no rush as I still have some experimenting to do, but there's also so much to do if it's going to be done properly. The main issue is the kitchen. We have three cats, who live in our kitchen - which probably wouldn't go down well with the environmental health people. So options include finding another kitchen & paying rent, or converting a room in the house. Then I need to look at business rates, planning permission, checking the mortgage people are happy....

Useful resources so far include:
- www.food.gov.uk (especially this PDF on starting up)
- www.businesseye.org.uk in Wales
- Starting a Cake Decorating Business from Home by Kathy Moore

* Reasons for giving it a go:
1. I enjoy it.
2. We visited Candy Cakes in Covent Garden on the weekend & I reckon my cakes are just as good.
3. Around September DH & I will be involved with running the on field tea shack for half time at rugby, an ideal place to sell cakes.
4. I have been thinking about it for ages.
5. People keep suggesting it.

No comments: