Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The first stitch

The first thing I ever knit (knitted? Knat?) was...suprise, suprise...a scarf! It was a very long scarf...about 11 foot. I'm only 5ft tall, so I could wrap it round my neck twice and still have both ends practically touching the floor.


As a first project scarves are definately the way forward, and i have made several scarves! Most of which I wear, some have been experimental exercises. I am a big fan of the shorter scarves that can be worn like a tie. They are more wearable and faster to knit! Add buttons or use fancy yarn to get a scarf for every outfit.












In a more experimental fashion, scarves are great for trying out new stitches or patterns, colour changing and other techniques. Although, i have to admit i don't wear this one so much. I do recommend trying it as a 'freestyle' exercise.




No comments: